Our Vision for Bankstown
Our long-term vision for Bankstown
We’ve unveiled our future vision for a proposed redevelopment of Bankstown Central which could bring up to 8,400 workers, 3,500 residents and 1,800 students into our town centre by 2050.
This long-term vision is about transforming the centre of Bankstown into a vibrant urban neighbourhood to work, live, stay, dine and shop with new commercial offices, a hotel, serviced apartments, student accommodation, residential apartments, childcare facilities and public open and green spaces.
The first planned projects feature:
- a seven-level commercial office building overlooking Jacobs Street
- a new ‘Eat Street’ with cafes and restaurants
- an eight-level commercial office building fronting Rickard Road
- close to half a hectare of new landscaped public open space including a garden boulevard and courtyard overlooking Jacobs Street
- repositioning the existing bus interchange between The Mall and North Terrace, closer to the Bankstown train and future metro station and the centre’s fresh food precinct, and
- a new basement carpark for more than 320 cars
In the future Bankstown will be serviced by two trains with the existing Bankstown train station and the future T3 metro station just 100 metres away and the relocated, onsite bus interchange providing access to the city and beyond. These first projects are expected to create up to 400 new direct and indirect jobs over the two-year build and once completed the long-term 2050 vision will support more than 8,400 additional local jobs in Bankstown.
As a key public transport, commercial, health and education hub, our plans are about creating a thriving neighbourhood which embraces growing consumer preferences for hyper-local living and a desire to live, work and play close to home.